Well maybe it's more that I'm intimidated by it. Those horrible early morning breakfast clubs of bright eyed, bushy tailed people are my worst nightmare besides dreaming about snakes crawling on me. (Funny, they both give me a creepy crawly sensation)
Most of us do more informal, unconscious networking than we realize. Time to reframe the creepy crawly feeling, and optimize these moments to help us stay in business.
My favorite form of unconscious networking is to be an active, helpful participant in several online communities. There are multiple opportunities for using this tactic:
- membership forums and topic specific discussion boards
- Yahoo groups and other e-lists
- social media -- post questions, links to resources, compliments to others, not your daily activities
- blogs -- yours and your comments on others
- pass along links to online resources of interest
- forward notices of others' events
- send new tips sheets of relevance
- recommend books, services, workshops
- ask for their opinions or help
There. Now isn't that easier than trying to get a word in edgewise at 7:15 am that's coherently self-promoting?