- Fear of not being visible enough to prospective clients?
- Fear of being too visible and drawing people who are wrong for your practice?
- Fear of not doing enough marketing, so you do a little of everything?
- Fear of not doing the right marketing, so you feel paralyzed or overwhelmed?
- Fear of losing traction, so you get caught up in frantically searching for more ways to promote your business?
- Fear of marketing taking over your life, so resistance comes up and prevents doing any at all?
- Fear of looking or sounding unprofessional, silly, stupid, or sleazy?
I highly recommend having some strong techniques for feeling the fear and promoting your business anyway. That should include confident self-talk, an accountability partner, and a step by step system to persistently follow.
Many of us by nature or training value being in a "flow" state of mind, where we've heard that high creativity exists. There's nothing wrong with that when we need to generate new ideas or produce a specific product. How that often plays out for marketing a private practice, though, can look like this:
- dabbling at many marketing actions, mastering and following through on few
- interacting with your business as if it were a hobby
- scattering your energies with disconnected approaches to spreading the word about your services
- starting the business day waiting for inspiration, energy, or motivation to strike
- flitting from one strategy to the next without giving each enough time to produce results
- constantly reinventing the wheel, or being terminally "unique" in promoting your practice
I recommend making the best use of the flow state when needing to brainstorm, when wanting to immerse yourself in a creative process, and in visualizing success everyday.
If I could make just one point about client attraction it would be that FOCUS is the big secret. What focus looks like is:
- making the health of your business a priority on your schedule everyday
- a well defined understanding of your ideal client
- an emotionally compelling marketing message
- a limited number of effective ways to fill your pipeline, get referrals, present yourself and get hired
- a small set of easy, fun, productive action steps taken every day
I recommend setting aside time everyday to tend your business in a focused way with clear, measurable action steps that lead to achievable goals.